Monday, March 4, 2013


5...4....3....2

It's count down time!  It's 5 days before we leave for Itahlee, Dahling.  The bags are not packed...yet. But the clothes are ready to be packed.  I have a good idea of what I'm taking so that is not going to take much bandwidth.  It's more like .....the Passport? Debit Card? Credit Cards? Sterling (English money)? Euros (Rest of Europe)? Apartment confirmations? Car service booked? Train tickets for London? and 50 other little things that I need to sort out before I can leave and not worry about things. 

Last year I tried a little experiment with Lindsey regarding money and traveling on a budget.  I put X amount of $ in her account and said "You pay for your share of everything, meals, apartment, train tickets, etc." When we go to dinner, pull out your card to pay your portion of the bill.  When train tickets are needed, use your card to purchase your tickets. Well.....that did not last long.  As soon as she went shopping and ran short of money, I had to take over and pay whatever was needed.  

I was trying to get her to learn how to manage money on trips for times when I'm not there to pick up the financial slack.  So when we planned this trip I said I'm not going to do that again.   She was so upset over that decision and PROMISES that she will do better and she really wants to be in control of her expenses and not be 18yrs old in Europe with mommy paying the bill.  I understand her position but she needs to remind herself, I'm still  paying the bill, It's just going through her hands! Kids. After several conversations and threats like "You will be eating bread and water if you run out of money!" she promises that she will manage her money and not over spend on shopping. I hope she is successful this trip, for all our sakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment